Scenic Hudson works to make sure that the valley’s beauty, health and prosperity stay on our government's front burner.
Photo Nick Zungoli
Our experts in public policy and advocacy work with government agencies and elected officials to get support for our overall goals of saving the land that matters most and protecting waterfronts as a public and natural resource. For nearly 50 years, our work has played a key role in establishing many environmental initiatives that have had a tremendous impact on the region, including the Hudson River Estuary Program, the Coastal Management Program, the Hudson River Valley Greenway, the Clean Water Act, the Hudson Valley Community Preservation Act and the National Heritage Area Designation.
Current Legislative Goals
Here's what our public policy team is currently working on:
- Ensuring that the state's Environmental Protection Fund, particularly Farmland Preservation, the Hudson River Estuary Program and Open Space protection programs, and state agencies are not cut disproportionately in the state's budget. (UPDATE: Governor Cuomo and both houses of the legislature have proposed stable funding for the EFP for fiscal year 2012. Thank you!)
- Promoting the Hudson Valley and New York City's "Foodshed" and ensuring that limited public resources that preserve and support our local farms create maximum public benefits.
- Promoting legislation encouraging smart growth — increasing incentives for revitalizing downtowns, not building new suburbs.
- Strengthening the NY Department of State's Coastal Management policies and other regulations that help communities connect residents to their river.
- Securing federal funds to contribute to farmland preservation work for individual projects and through the 2012 Farm Bill. (UPDATE: Thanks to Congressman Chris Gibson and Senator Kristen Gillibrand, we have a very strong Farm Bill that will help keep Hudson Valley farms protected and in production!)
- Coordinating federal and state agencies in support of restoring critical habitat and wetlands along the Hudson River. (UPDATE: Thanks to Congressman Paul Tonko for introducing the Hudson-Mohawk Basin Bill!)
- Keeping the Environmental Protection Agency and General Electric accountable for a safe and on-time cleanup of Hudson River PCBs.
- Reauthorizing the Highlands Conservation Act (UPDATE: Thanks to Congressman Maurice Hinchey funding is secure for 2012-13. We will miss you, Maurice!)
Our Public Policy Team