Land Transaction Attorney
Land Conservation Director
Mission of Position
Scenic Hudson seeks an attorney to support the Land Conservation Team in completing land conservation transactions. The attorney will provide legal support to program staff on all aspects of the purchase, sale and donation of land and conservation easements.
The attorney also will:
- Participate as needed with program staff in landowner negotiations and public agency discussions;
- Draft and review documents for real estate transactions (options, purchase agreements, deeds, conservation easements, leases, escrow instructions, promissory notes, contracts with surveyors, environmental consultants, design professionals, construction contracts, contracts with public agencies, etc.) and park development projects;
- Ensure that these documents are in accordance with laws and internal policies and protocols;
- Assist in resolving legal, title, boundary survey and environmental liability issues;
- Oversee real estate closings in partnership with program staff;
- Assist with acquisition-related due diligence and monitoring property management issues (toxics liability, leases, taxes, insurance);
- Maintain legal document templates and update them as necessary in accordance with best industry practices;
- Support parks team staff as needed for contracting for park planning, design and construction services; and
- Perform risk assessment in order to determine when the utilization of outside counsel will be necessary.
- Bachelor's degree, Juris Doctor, admission to the New York state bar by commencement of employment. Minimum 3 years of experience is required.
- Prior experience in real property transactional law is required and experience in federal, state and local property law (in particular as it relates to tax-exempt organizations and the tax consequences of real estate transactions to and from such organizations), land use law, construction law, and work with government agencies is a plus.
- Experience in resolving land title, boundary survey, and environmental liability issues a plus.
- Familiarity with land trust industry best practices a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong skills and experience working successfully in a high performance team environment.
- Requires aptitude for independent work and exercising judgment within broadly defined policies and practices in order to select the most appropriate method for obtaining results. Assignments are complex and substantially important to the organization.
- Requires ability to draft quality legal documents quickly, and to respond promptly and helpfully to the needs of program staff.
Scenic Hudson preserves land and farms and creates parks that connect people with the inspirational power of the Hudson River, while fighting threats to the river and natural resources that are the foundation of the valley’s prosperity.
Our work is guided by our vision for the Hudson Valley as a community of informed and engaged citizens working to make the region a model of vibrant riverfront cities and towns linked by inviting parks and trails, beautiful and resilient landscapes, and productive farms.
Commensurate with experience, with benefits.
Cover letter, resume and writing sample sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scenic Hudson affords all qualified applicants equal employment opportunity without discrimination because of race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victims of domestic violence status or marital status.