Administrative Assistant to the Parks and Community Engagement Team
Director of Parks and Community Engagement
Mission of Position
As part of the P&CE Team, provide office and clerical work and consistent support for a wide variety of projects with continuous deadlines shifting seasonally and by staff person. The team works collaboratively focusing mainly on developing and managing parks and trails; engaging diverse communities, particularly youth in outdoor activities, in both urban and rural settings throughout the Hudson Valley.
The Administrative Assistant is an organized, detail oriented, problem solving professional who learns quickly, works independently as well as in team settings. Must have excellent office skills including Word, Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint, and the ability to prioritize tasks, excellent verbal and written communication skills, (fluency in Spanish, written and spoken, preferred). 1-3 years of experience required. High school degree minimum, some college preferred. Must be able to lift and move up to 30 pounds.
Scenic Hudson preserves land and farms and creates parks that connect people with the inspirational power of the Hudson River, while fighting threats to the river and natural resources that are the foundation of the valley’s prosperity. Scenic Hudson has created or enhanced 65 parks, preserves and historic sites.
We are guided by these enduring principles:
- Everyone deserves opportunities to experience the Hudson River, to enjoy open space and to have a voice in decisions affecting their community.
- The beauty of the Hudson River Valley is a unique source of spiritual and artistic vitality and must be preserved forever.
- An outstanding quality of life is achievable only when a clean, healthy environment is a key component of economic growth.
The P&CE Team works toward achieving three major outcomes:
- Connect people to the Hudson River and other natural assets.
- Use our parks as “outdoor classrooms” to teach youth about their community’s natural environment and ways to help protect and improve it.
- Make our parks models of environmental stewardship that meet the needs of communities they serve.
- Maintain a system of clerical workflow.
- Organize and maintain the team’s paper and electronic files; develop and improve filing systems to improve organizational efficiency.
- Prepare weekly check requests and purchase orders in timely manner, track costs and invoices.
- Process tax invoices and prepare exemption filings, track taxes and exemption statuses, and examine tax bills for accuracy.
- Administer annual public lotteries and permits for hunting and kayak storage.
- Prepare agreements and documentation, monitor deadlines, and track payments of vendors.
- Schedule and coordinate meetings, conference calls and offsite meetings as needed. Assist Director of P&CE in coordinating materials for board committee meetings. Occasional travel (3-4 times per year) to NYC for meetings.
- Maintain and update contractor list and approved vendor list and assist with contractor bid processes.
- Assist as needed with production and packaging of funding proposals, grant applications, and with grant administration, including preparing draft requisitions.
- Assist other team administrative assistants as needed. Answer phones and direct calls, responding to emergency calls as needed.
- Deliver outgoing mail to post office Monday through Friday, understand special mailing requirements.
- Be familiar with Scenic Hudson parks. Respond to all inquiries about parks and park events.
- Be flexible to work overtime as needed.
Full Time, with competitive salary and benefits.
Applications should be sent to: email@example.com. Send resume and brief writing sample. No phone calls please. Scenic Hudson is an EOE promoting cultural diversity and excellence.