Director of Communications
Senior Vice President
Mission of Position
To continually strengthen a powerful and compelling brand for Scenic Hudson through strategic communications. To reach target audiences with breakthrough creative content and new media tools backed by a compelling mobile-first website. Build on the strength of traditional communications but also transform Scenic Hudson’s visual presentation and storytelling to break through competing messaging for people’s time and action. Run audience-engagement campaigns based on personalized, two-way interactions refined and adapted based on data. Direct a team also responsible for high-level media campaigns, collateral, publications, videos, displays and signage, and public events. Produce mix of print and electronic materials for fundraising and presentations by organization’s top executives. Lead managers and staff throughout the organization on messaging, writing and design of communications, public speaking and media interviews. Effectively collaborate with partner organizations in roll-out of joint media initiatives.
- Assistant Director of Communications
- Graphic Designer
- Administrative Assistant
Minimum of seven years’ experience in public relations or related areas, including at least four years in a management position. Track record in developing and implementing strategies to increase visibility of organizations, convey tailored messages to target audiences, and build community involvement in, and support for, causes and organizations. Proactive and collegial working style. Capability to work as a team player and effective member of management team.
Scenic Hudson helps citizens and communities preserve land and farms and create parks where people experience the outdoors and enjoy the Hudson River. We also bring together people, businesses and government to protect the river and natural resources that are the engines of the valley’s local economies. Started in 1963 by a handful of citizens who cherished the simple pleasures of the outdoors along the Hudson, Scenic Hudson is credited with launching the modern grass-roots environmental movement. Today, in the face of new challenges and the effects of climate change, we are dedicated to making the Hudson Valley a great place to live, work and play. Our focus is on strengthening and maximizing benefits all can enjoy from the region’s great assets—beautiful open spaces, working farms, and vibrant cities and town centers.
Principle Responsibilities include:
- Establishing baseline measures of public perceptions of Scenic Hudson and support for its initiatives, developing strategies to increase public understanding and support, and gauging changes in opinions resulting from our outreach efforts.
- Keeping Scenic Hudson on the cutting edge of new communications technologies with engaging messaging and channels to reach and motivate people via social media, email advocacy, website, etc.
- Overseeing production of newsletters, annual report and various brochures and publications while ensuring the appearance and quality of all communications.
- Developing and managing relations in local, regional and national media markets as well as implementing strategies aimed at increasing the organization's visibility and effectiveness in communicating its messages to key target audiences.
- Overseeing public relations aspects of press conferences, special events and other activities aimed at conveying the organization's position on issues or at achieving other public relations goals.
- Proactively identifying media opportunities, initiating contacts to pitch stories and arrange editorial meetings and following through on leads and tracking and responding to coverage via letters to the editor, op-eds follow-up pitches, etc.
- Coordinating activities of an advisory group from the Board of Directors and managing outside consultants.
- Identifying and interacting with professionals in the communications field who can assist with development and delivery of Scenic Hudson’s messages.
Full-time, with competitive salary and benefits.
Applications should be sent to: email@example.com or HR, Scenic Hudson, One Civic Center Plaza, Suite 200, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601. Send resume and brief writing/publications samples. Scenic Hudson is an EOE promoting cultural diversity and excellence.