Director of Parks and Community Engagement
Mission of Position
The Urban Designer will advance Scenic Hudson’s goal of Hudson Valley cities and towns becoming more economically vibrant, environmentally healthy and reflecting the needs of all citizens. The designer is a creative and dynamic team member who will develop, coordinate and implement projects related to urban and waterfront design and planning, neighborhood revitalization and community and regional trails to connect people the Hudson River and other natural assets.
Master’s degree in urban design, landscape architecture, architecture, planning or related field required; 3-5 years of related experience; AICP preferred
- Excellent writing, verbal and visual communication skills
- Ability to clearly describe planning and design concepts with words and images including concept sketches, design development, 2D and 3D graphics
- Proficient skills in AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, SketchUp, GIS
- Proven community engagement, collaboration and team building skills
- Ability to convene and lead community meetings and design charrettes
- Long term project management; can manage multiple deadlines
- Grant writing and administration
- Committed to environmentally sustainable and socially equitable practices
- Familiarity with designing for climate change resilience and adaptation
- Flexible and skilled at responding to changes on projects, prioritize and manage multiple projects and available for night and weekend meetings. Must have clean driver’s license and own vehicle.
- Speaking and writing in Spanish a plus
Scenic Hudson preserves land and farms and creates parks that connect people with the inspirational power of the Hudson River, while fighting threats to the river and natural resources that are the foundation of the valley’s prosperity. www.scenichudson.org
Our work is guided by our vision for the Hudson Valley as a community of informed and engaged citizens working to make the region a model of vibrant riverfront cities and towns linked by inviting parks and trails, beautiful and resilient landscapes, and productive farms.
- Develop and manage multi-year, multi-partner projects related to community scale planning, urban design and regional trail development that advance Scenic Hudson’s strategic objectives
- Graphically communicates concept and final plans using a suite of design and mapping software
- Identify and engage stakeholders and project partners including non-profits, for-profits, and governmental agencies; form coalitions to guide planning and development of community projects and shared visioning plans, with a focus on low-income urban areas
- Secure funding for projects; write grant proposals and administer grants.
- Secure permitting and local and state approvals
- Coordinate an interdepartmental team to achieve multi-objective goals that may involve public outreach, events, education, advocacy, planning, acquisition and physical improvements
- Represent Scenic Hudson in a variety of capacities including public meetings, formal hearings and social/community gatherings
- As needed, review design of private development proposals and provide alternate designs that reflect smart growth and contemporary urban design principles, may involve writing comments and delivering testimony
- Understand urban and demographic trends and communicate them through op-ed pieces, newsletter articles, forums, etc.
- Other duties as assigned to achieve Scenic Hudson goals
Full time, with competitive salary and benefits.
Applications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Send resume, recent graphic design samples (2-3) and brief writing sample. Further information can be found on our website: www.scenichudson.org. No phone calls please. Scenic Hudson is an EOE promoting cultural diversity and excellence.