Land Stewardship Coordinator
Director of Conservation Science
Mission of Position
The Land Stewardship Coordinator is responsible for assisting the Director of Conservation Science and Conservation Easement Manager with management Scenic Hudson lands, including natural resource monitoring and ecological restoration on fee owned lands and stewardship of conservation easements. He/she will collect and organize data on existing holdings and newly protected lands, including biological inventories, site analyses and mapping. He/she will steward lands through invasive species mapping and control, rare species monitoring, and habitat enhancement and restoration projects. He/she will assist in the management of Scenic Hudson’s conservation easements over private lands, including annual monitoring, resolving easement violations, and creating baseline documentation for new easements.. The Land Stewardship Coordinator will also work cooperatively with Scenic Hudson’s Parks and Outreach team on a variety of projects to protect and enhance the ecological integrity of Scenic Hudson’s lands and provide the public with educational opportunities.
Bachelors Degree in biology, natural resource management, environmental science or other related field. At least 2 years experience in land management, ecological restoration or related field. Must be knowledgeable of local flora and fauna. A basic understanding of conservation easements is highly desirable. Proficiency in Microsoft Office, ArcGIS, and experience with GPS data collection required; experience with drone operation a plus. Proficiency in the use and maintenance of chainsaws, brush-cutters, mowers, tractors, and a variety of other hand and power tools required. Strong organizational, database management, writing, and interpersonal communications skills, as well as attention to detail. Works well both individually and as part of a team. Must be physically able to lift and carry 50 lbs. and hike long distances over varied terrain in adverse weather conditions.
Scenic Hudson has protected more than 30,000 acres in nine counties, and created or enhanced over 50 parks in the Hudson River Valley for public enjoyment - several in communities that previously had little or no access to the Hudson River. An accredited Land Trust, Scenic Hudson holds nearly 150 conservation easements protecting agricultural, ecological, and scenic resources, and assists partner land trusts in securing easements in the Hudson Valley.
Principal Responsibilities include:
Fee Lands Stewardship and Monitoring:
· Monitors natural resources on Scenic Hudson parks and preserve and develops/updates natural resource stewardship plans
· Oversees invasive plant mapping and control efforts
· Plans and implements site-scale habitat restoration and management projects
· Writes reports documenting site visits and follows up on potential and observed issues
· Reviews existing ecological assessments and conducts or contracts for new or supplementary assessments as necessary
· Supervises volunteers for stewardship and restoration projects including riparian revegetation and invasive species removal.
Conservation Easement Management:
· Documents property conditions and creates baseline documentation reports
· Conducts bi-annual property monitoring visits, including coordination with landowners and follow up report writing
· Reviews draft terms for conservation easements and easement amendments
· Assists Conservation Easement Manager in responding to violations of conservation easements
· When possible offers assistance in land stewardship to easement landowners, and maintains positive relationships with easement landowners
Facilitating Programmatic Outcomes:
· Follows best practices for detection and management of rare and invasive species
· Represents Scenic Hudson in the Lower Hudson Partnership for Regional Invasive Species Management
· Responds to internal and external information requests regarding conservation easements and natural resources on Scenic Hudson properties
· Manages GIS data and all files related to natural resource stewardship
Full Time, with competitive salary and benefits
No phone calls please.
Scenic Hudson is an EOE promoting cultural diversity and excellence.