Parks Stewardship Coordinator
Parks and Restoration Manager
Mission of Position
As member of the Parks and Community Engagement Team, support the stewardship of all of Scenic Hudson parks and other fee-owned lands. The coordinator will monitor boundaries using GIS, document site conditions and maintain the information in a database. The coordinator will also assess properties for matters such as changes in physical characteristics, encroachments, and form positive relationships with neighboring landowners. The coordinator will assist with all physical aspects of park maintenance and improvement activities such as trail building, tree pruning, sign maintenance, and fencing.
A minimum of one year of experience with management of parks, public lands, or natural resources. Bachelor’s degree in a related field required. Must be highly organized and detail oriented. Proficiency in GIS and understanding of land stewardship responsibilities, tracking and recordkeeping required. Effective team worker. Outdoor experience, off-trail navigation skills, and a high level of comfort spending time in remote locations. Well-developed written and oral communication skills. Must understand basic constructions techniques and have experience in using hand tools and some power equipment. Ability to carry 50 lbs. over rough terrain required. Must be flexible with schedule and willing to work weekends as needed. Must possess a valid driver’s license and be able to travel to different locations throughout the Hudson Valley. Familiarity with non-profit and land trusts a plus.
- Assist the Parks and Restoration Manager in preparing and updating individualized parks and fee land management plans and with subsequent implementation of the plans.
- Assist in complying with Land Trust Alliance regulations including yearly monitoring of properties and documentation of findings.
- Serve as primary point of contact for the general public in encroachments and boundary issues.
- Boundary posting and encroachment documentation and enforcement.
- GIS mapping of trail expansions and maintenance work orders.
- Assist the Park and Stewardship Manager in the maintenance of a web-based platform for standardized information collection techniques and associated simplified storage methodologies.
- Perform physical maintenance work in the parks.
- Collaborate with natural resource stewardship staff in managing natural resources and hunting programs.
- Assist with various record and filing systems.
- Perform other duties as needed in Scenic Hudson related activities.
Scenic Hudson preserves land and farms and creates parks that connect people with the inspirational power of the Hudson River, while fighting threats to the river and natural resources that are the foundation of the valley’s prosperity.
Our work is guided by our vision for the Hudson Valley as a community of informed and engaged citizens working to make the region a model of vibrant riverfront cities and towns linked by inviting parks and trails, beautiful and resilient landscapes, and productive farms.
Full time, with competitive salary and benefits.
Applications should be sent to: HR, Scenic Hudson, One Civic Center Plaza, Suite 200, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601 or faxed to: (845) 452-7567 or e-mailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Send resume and brief writing sample. No phone calls please. Scenic Hudson is an EOE promoting cultural diversity and excellence.