Planning and Design Associate
Director of Parks and Community Engagement
Mission of Position
The candidate for the Planning and Design Associate position should be an enthusiastic team member with strong technical graphic skills; strong communication and organizational skills; and a background in landscape design and/or urban and regional planning. The successful candidate will work in a collaborative team environment of landscape architecture, urban design, and planning staff to support and develop projects involving community outreach, urban and regional planning, park planning and construction.
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the following: landscape architecture, urban design, or planning and one to two years of related experience. Master’s degree preferred.
- Strong hand graphic and design skills.
- Proficient technical skills in AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, SketchUp. GIS skills a plus.
- Strong organizational, verbal, and writing skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Great attention to detail and problem solving ability in a highly collaborative, team-based environment.
Scenic Hudson preserves land and farms and creates parks that connect people with the inspirational power of the Hudson River, while fighting threats to the river and natural resources that are the foundation of the valley’s prosperity.
Our work is guided by our vision for the Hudson Valley as a community of informed and engaged citizens working to make the region a model of vibrant riverfront cities and towns linked by inviting parks and trails, beautiful and resilient landscapes, and productive farms.
- Work closely with Parks and Community Engagement Team and other Scenic Hudson staff. Tasks may involve communication with project partners, consultants, regulatory agencies and others to meet project objectives.
- Assist with projects through various phases including: research and information gathering, data analysis, conceptual designs, presentations, grant applications, community engagement, consultant coordination, construction documents and contracts, planning documents, and state/ municipal review and permitting process.
- Prepare visual graphic materials such as GIS inventory mapping, site inventory and analysis, concept diagramming, landscape and development renderings, 3D illustrations, diagrams, interpretive signage, etc. for digital and printed presentation and educational material formats.
- Follow Scenic Hudson graphic brand identity protocols.
- Assist Parks and Community Outreach team as needed.
Commensurate with experience, with benefits.
Cover letter, resume, a PDF portfolio with at least five samples of relevant work (no more than 10 pages), and writing sample sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scenic Hudson affords all qualified applicants equal employment opportunity without discrimination because of race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victims of domestic violence status or marital status.