Reporting to: Executive Director of Policy, Advocacy, and Science
Senior Climate and Renewable Energy Attorney
Advocacy Community Organizer
Mission of Position: Leads environmental advocacy campaigns to fight threats to the Hudson River and natural resources that are the foundation of the Hudson Valley’s prosperity. Directs the organization’s legal programs and serves as lead counsel for the organization. Requires a combination of excellent legal and communication skills in the context of litigation, advocacy, risk management, negotiation, public education and coalition-building. Must value and have a commitment to working with diverse communities and treating complex issues with cultural sensitivity.
- Juris Doctorate and license to practice law in New York State required
- Minimum of ten years of legal experience, including at least three years in a management role
- Expertise and experience at a senior level in environmental and energy law
- Knowledge and experience in broad areas of law including litigation, contract law, corporate/not-for-profit governance, compliance, municipal law, ethics and real estate
- Must have a commitment to Scenic Hudson’s mission and environmental justice
- Proven experience managing large-scale advocacy campaigns with a track record of success
- Strong negotiation skills and experience negotiating complex transactions and agreements
- Team management experience and excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as a leader with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally and in a collaborative manner
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills and ability to translate complex legal issues for diverse audiences
- Superior presentation and public speaking skills
- Ability to handle multiple complex projects, cases and deadlines and flexibility to adapt to shifting priorities
Background: Scenic Hudson preserves land and farms and creates parks that connect people with the inspirational power of the Hudson River, while fighting threats to the river and natural resources that are the foundation of the valley’s prosperity. www.scenichudson.org
Our work is guided by our vision for the Hudson Valley as a community of informed and engaged citizens working to make the region a model of vibrant riverfront cities and towns linked by inviting parks and trails, beautiful and resilient landscapes, and productive farms.
Principal Responsibilities include:
- Setting strategy and priorities for Scenic Hudson’s advocacy and legal teams
- Managing all facets of multi-disciplinary advocacy campaigns on a wide range of issues, including renewable energy, fossil fuel infrastructure, Superfund cleanups and development proposals that threaten the environment
- Managing litigation before state and federal courts and administrative agencies, including supervising staff attorneys
- Appearing before federal and state agencies to advance organizational priorities
- Collaborating with the Board of Directors, Executive Team and other staff on a broad range of legal and risk management issues
- Leading cross-functional legal team and overseeing all legal issues and engagements organization-wide
- Selecting, retaining and managing outside counsel, as necessary to support programmatic and operational needs
- Developing organizational policies, procedures and programs to ensure compliance and manage risk
- Identifying practical tools to support staff in understanding and complying with risk management policies and procedures
- Serving as organizational spokesperson to media, government agencies and the public
- Building and maintaining relationships with partners and coalitions
- Writing and delivering reports and presentations to Executive Team and Board of Directors
- Setting and managing program budget and managing staff, including professional development and performance assessments
Compensation: Full Time, Salary range $100,000 to $120,000 with benefits.
Contact: Cover letter, resume and brief writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Further information can be found on our website: www.scenichudson.org.
No phone calls please.
Scenic Hudson is an Equal Opportunity Employer promoting cultural diversity and excellence. We are committed to the values of diversity, equity and inclusion, and strive to serve all of the people of the Hudson Valley by evaluating our projects, strategic initiatives and outcomes through that lens.