Executive Director of Policy, Advocacy & Science
To sustain and enhance the Hudson Valley’s inspirational beauty and health for generations to come.
Mission of Position:
Leads environmental advocacy campaigns to advance opportunities for renewable energy and environmental sustainability while fighting threats to the Hudson River and natural resources that are the foundation of the Hudson Valley’s prosperity. Directs the organization’s legal programs and serves as lead counsel for the organization. The effective leader will have a combination of excellent legal and communication skills in the context of litigation, advocacy, risk management, negotiation, public education and coalition-building. Alignment with Scenic Hudson’s commitment to working with diverse communities and treating complex issues with cultural sensitivity is central to success.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced attorney and manager who has a strong record of achievement and demonstrated commitment to environmental issues. The successful candidate will be a proven leader with vision, ability to think strategically and strong interpersonal skills.
- Juris Doctorate and license to practice law in New York State required
- Minimum of seven years of legal experience, including at least three years in a management role
- Expertise and experience at a senior level in environmental and energy law
- Knowledge and experience in broad areas of law including litigation, contract law, corporate/not-for-profit governance, compliance, municipal law, ethics and real estate
- Alignment with Scenic Hudson’s mission and environmental justice
- Proven experience managing large-scale advocacy campaigns with a track record of success
- Strong negotiation skills and experience negotiating complex transactions and agreements
- Team management experience and excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as a leader with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally and in a collaborative manner
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills and ability to translate complex legal issues for diverse audiences
- Superior presentation and public speaking skills
- Ability to handle multiple complex projects, cases and deadlines and flexibility to adapt to shifting priorities
Principle responsibilities may include:
- Setting strategy and priorities for Scenic Hudson’s advocacy and legal teams
- Managing all facets of multi-disciplinary advocacy campaigns on a wide range of issues, including renewable energy, fossil fuel infrastructure, Superfund cleanups and development proposals that threaten the environment
- Managing litigation before state and federal courts and administrative agencies, including supervising staff attorneys
- Appearing before federal and state agencies to advance organizational priorities
- Collaborating with the Board of Directors, Executive Team and other staff on a broad range of legal and risk management issues
- Leading cross-functional legal team and overseeing all legal issues and engagements organization-wide
- Selecting, retaining and managing outside counsel, as necessary to support programmatic and operational needs
- Developing organizational policies, procedures and programs to ensure compliance and manage risk
- Identifying practical tools to support staff in understanding and complying with risk management policies and procedures
- Serving as organizational spokesperson to media, government agencies and the public
- Building and maintaining relationships with partners and coalitions
- Writing and delivering reports and presentations to Executive Team and Board of Directors
- Setting and managing program budget and managing staff, including professional development and performance assessments
Compensation: Full-time position, $100,000 – $120,000 with benefits.
Contact: Applications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Send resume and brief writing sample. Further information can be found on our website: www.scenichudson.org. No phone calls please.
Scenic Hudson defines Environmental Justice as the fair treatment and meaningful involvement of people regardless of their ability, culture, education, gender, heritage, income, or race in efforts, decisions, and actions that impact their environment, health and livelihoods.
Scenic Hudson is an Equal Opportunity Employer promoting and celebrating excellence and cultural diversity. We are committed to advancing diversity, equity, representation, and inclusion, and strive to serve all people in the Hudson Valley by evaluating all our projects, strategic initiatives, and outcomes through that lens.