Reporting to: Executive Director
Description: Hudson Highlands Fjord Trail, Inc. (HHFT) is seeking a hard-working and dedicated professional to serve as its Director of Finance and Operations. We are looking for a driven, results-oriented candidate with excellent written and verbal communication skills; a strategic thought leader who can succeed in a collaborative setting; and a commitment to the environment and outdoor recreation. The ability to handle multiple projects, think ‘outside the box’ and collaborate with other groups is essential.
The Director of Finance and Operations will be primarily responsible to the Executive Director and will oversee all financial and operational matters of the organization. In addition, this position will work in collaboration with the Chief Finance & Operations Officer and finance and operations team of Scenic Hudson, Inc., a related organization, under a services agreement whereby Scenic Hudson provides HHFT with accounting, payroll, payables and other basic financial support.
Qualifications: The successful candidate will be a strategic thought creator and possess leadership qualities to effectively align HHFT’s financial, operating and programmatic goals with its financial capabilities. This position must have the ability to articulate the financial status of the organization with precision to all audiences, including management, the board, donors and other institutional stakeholders. Exceptional organizational, time management and people skills are mandatory in this position, particularly in balancing the financial and operational aspects of the role. Alignment and commitment to the Hudson Highland Fjord Trail’s mission and environmental justice are required. The Director of Finance and Operations must be highly motivated and willing to actively and creatively problem solve to help advance this important project for the region.
A bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration or relevant field is the minimum educational requirement. Prior experience in a non-profit financial leadership position is preferred. CPA preferred; however a candidate’s ability to speak fluently about general non-profit accounting issues will demonstrate the desired skillset.
Compensation: Full time, salary range $90K – $100K commensurate with experience, with competitive benefits.
- Manage the annual operating, capital and cash flow budgeting process for the organization
- Oversee funding agreements and partnerships with governmental and other third parties
- Prepare donor and other ad hoc reports in collaboration with Scenic Hudson’s finance team
- Evaluate the financial and operating impact of program revenue streams projected to come online as construction phases are complete; research, make recommendations and lead implementation of back end systems required to support such revenue streams in coordination with relevant program staff and Scenic Hudson’s finance team, who provides HHFT with basic back-end accounting support.
- Assist Development and Program staff with grant administration and reporting, predominantly foundation and state grants.
Operations and risk management
- Understand and mitigate key elements of the organization’s risk profile
- Monitor ongoing legal issues as they arise
- Ensure all corporate actions are in compliance with organizational bylaws, Certificates of Incorporation, IRS and/or State regulations; including those that govern the Organizations’ status as a tax exempt entity.
- Identify insurance requirements tied to HHFT’s portfolio of properties under direct ownership, trail easements and construction contracts/other third-party agreements; review and approve insurance requests and renewals in collaboration with Scenic Hudson staff
- Establish and implement a long-term operational plan for HHFT’s corporate headquarters (under the Executive Director’s leadership); the organization is based in Beacon, NY.
- Establish and implement a strategy for management of additional properties held by HHFT with rental potential.
Collaboration with Scenic Hudson
HHFT, Inc. and Scenic Hudson, Inc., a related organization, have executed a Services Agreement under which the Scenic Hudson finance and operations team provides HHFT with basic accounting and operational support, including:
- Accounts payable
- General ledger
- Human Resources
- Investment oversight and reporting
- Lobbying reporting
- Corporate and board governance
The Director of Finance and Operations will work in collaboration with Scenic Hudson’s finance and operations team in this context to establish a mutual and complete understanding of the distinct needs and requirements of HHFT under the Services Agreement, as some of the services outline above overlap with the core responsibilities assigned throughout this job posting.
Contact: Cover letter, resume and brief writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Further information can be found on our website: www.scenichudson.org.
No phone calls please.
HHFT/Scenic Hudson is an Equal Opportunity Employer promoting cultural diversity and excellence. We are committed to the values of diversity, equity and inclusion, and strive to serve all of the people of the Hudson Valley by evaluating our projects, strategic initiatives and outcomes through that lens.