Reporting to: Conservation Easement Manager
Mission of Position: Assists Conservation Easement Manager with all aspects of management and stewardship of Scenic Hudson’s conservation easements. This is a three-year term-limited position.
Qualifications: The Conservation Easement Management Assistant (“CEMA”) should have a strong interest in land protection, land stewardship, and natural resource management. Basic knowledge of conservation easements desirable but not required. Successful candidate will have:
- Love of the outdoors.
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently and extensively within Hudson Valley region.
- Superb interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with people.
- Ability to follow directions and established protocols.
- Team-oriented mindset.
- Strong self-direction and energetic work ethic.
- Extremely detail oriented approach.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office environment.
- Experience with GIS and GPS capabilities highly desirable.
- Experience with, or willingness to learn, database management.
- Ability and interest in traveling long distances on foot over uneven terrain and ability to carry up to 20 pounds.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred, but not required.
- Commitment to Scenic Hudson’s mission.
Scenic Hudson helps citizens and communities preserve land and farms and create parks where people experience the outdoors and enjoy the Hudson River. We also bring together people, businesses and government to protect the river and natural resources that are the engines of the valley’s local economies. Started in 1963 by a handful of citizens who cherished the simple pleasures of the outdoors along the Hudson, Scenic Hudson is credited with launching the modern grass-roots environmental movement. Today, in the face of new challenges and the effects of climate change, we are dedicated to making the Hudson Valley a great place to live, work and play. Our focus is on strengthening and maximizing benefits all can enjoy from the region’s great assets—beautiful open spaces, working farms, and vibrant cities and town centers. www.scenichudson.org
Principle responsibilities may include:
- Monitor Scenic Hudson’s conservation easements annually to ensure compliance with easement terms and Land Trust Standards & Practices.
- Work closely with the Conservation Easement Manager and other land conservation staff to evaluate and respond to easement violations and landowner requests.
- Maintain good relations with conservation easement landowners – assists with responding to landowner requests, preparing and providing copies of monitoring reports, and working with landowners to resolve any violations of easement terms.
- Promote and work with landowners to educate about and encourage science-based and environmentally-sound land stewardship practices.
- Assist Conservation Easement Manager with the development and implementation of a land stewardship program on conservation easement properties.
- Maintain regular and up to date records in Salesforce-based database and electronic and paper files.
- Assist with development and distribution of letters and reports related to easement monitoring and management.
- Assist with review and drafting of amendments of existing conservation easements.
- Assist with creation of Baseline Documentation Reports using Field Maps and ArcGIS Pro for new conservation easement projects.
- Confer with outside legal counsel, contractors, partners, and consultants as needed.
- Occasionally work with local and state officials and other non-profit organizations involved in conservation easement management and land acquisition.
- Provide general assistance to the Conservation Easement Manager and other Land Conservation team staff.
- Complete other assignments as deemed necessary to achieve conservation easement program goals and support the mission of the organization.
- Other duties as assigned.
Compensation: Full Time, salary commensurate with experience.
Scenic Hudson is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate our differences and understand that diversity, equity, and inclusivity make our team stronger and our work better. We welcome and encourage applications from all qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds and experiences. If you need additional assistance with your application, please contact email@example.com.