Scenic Hudson seeks a part-time consultant (estimated 20 hours per week) to manage the organization’s social media, specifically as it relates to advocacy, activism, and the Defend the Valley campaign (DTV).
The Social Media Specialist is responsible for activating Defend the Valley, a grassroots campaign that amplifies the voices of individuals and organizations speaking out on behalf of the people and environment of the Hudson Valley. DTV is a way to communicate about Scenic Hudson’s current advocacy initiatives as well as a shared tool that partners can use to build awareness of collaborative actions in four key issue areas: Protect Land; Clean Air & Water; Connect Communities; and Climate Solutions. The DTV Social Media Specialist will play a key role in building a broad network that is ready to quickly mobilize and take action on specific campaigns in these issue areas when needed. The DTV Social Media Specialist will collaborate closely with Advocacy, Policy and Communications teams, and will report to the Director of Creative Strategies and Communications. The role will have responsibility for helping to maintain Scenic Hudson’s presence on multiple social media channels in coordination with the organization’s Advocacy and Communications teams, specifically as it relates to the organization’s advocacy work and Defend the Valley campaigns. This position will play a crucial role in advancing Scenic Hudson’s Advocacy and Policy programmatic goals, while aligning with the organization’s overall content strategy and digital ecosystem to mobilize and grow the organization’s audiences.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, new media or a related field
- 2+ years of experience with social media marketing and/or content development in the environmental field, environmental justice, or a related field or equivalent work experience.
- Well-versed in developing short- and long-term strategic communication plans (including programmatic objectives, audience growth, tactical approaches, workflow development, and more.)
- Passion for social media and proficiency with major social media platforms (Facebook, X, TikTok, Instagram, YouTube, Threads, LinkedIn, etc.) and social media management tools (Sprout Social or similar).
- Adept at social media analytics and paid promotion/advertising.
- Impeccable and engaging copywriting and copyediting skills.
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal/social skills.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Premier Pro) or equivalent digital media editing tools.
- Ability to understand trends in the digital content and social media space.
- Self-motivated, with solid time management skills and the ability to multitask.
- Detail-oriented, with the ability to respond quickly, be nimble, and meet deadlines.
- Team player, with the confidence to take the lead on collaborating with other teams as needed.
- Experience with nonprofits and familiarity with state and local politics preferred.
- Hudson Valley resident.
Principle responsibilities may include:
- Work closely in collaboration with Advocacy, Policy and Communications programs to guide development of an overall social media strategy for Defend the Valley (an initiative created by Scenic Hudson with the intention of becoming a shared platform for various organizations working on climate and environmental justice issues in the region).
- Coordinate with Scenic Hudson’s Social Media Manager to:
- align communications with the organization’s overall messaging, content, and social media schedule
- develop and adapt advocacy-related content to specific social channels and to support Scenic Hudson’s overall communications goals
- advise on metrics to gauge the success of advocacy initiatives on social media
- Coordinate with Scenic Hudson’s Executive Director of Policy, Advocacy, and Science and Director of Government Relations and Public Policy to:
- align communications with the organization’s overall programmatic goals and scheduleensure that advocacy-related content on specific social channels aligns with Scenic Hudson’s overall government relations goals
- advise on strategies and engagement opportunities to connect with government officials on social channels
- Assist with conceiving, developing, curating, and scheduling engaging content for social media platforms, and HV Viewfinder (Scenic Hudson’s digital magazine) specifically as it relates to Defend the Valley and the organization’s advocacy efforts.
- Monitor trending topics online, keep departments aware of emerging issues related to the four pillars, and draft/propose ways for the brand to be part of the conversation.
- Develop systems and procedures for swift reactions to comments and/or trending topics with the input and approval of critical Scenic Hudson stakeholders.
- In consultation with the Advocacy/Policy team, engage with organizational partners, groups whose values and work align with Defend the Valley’s goals, and with community leaders and elected officials on important issues.
- Stay abreast of emerging tools and technologies on social media to present/implement ways the organization can incorporate them into its communication strategies.
- Attend occasional in-person events and produce live social media content.
This is a part-time consultancy (est. 20/wk) and hourly range is $38 – $42, commensurate with experience. Send resume and brief writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Scenic Hudson defines Environmental Justice as the fair treatment and meaningful involvement of people regardless of their ability, culture, education, gender, heritage, income, or race in efforts, decisions, and actions that impact their environment, health and livelihoods.
Scenic Hudson is an Equal Opportunity Employer promoting and celebrating excellence and cultural diversity. We are committed to advancing diversity, equity, representation, and inclusion, and strive to serve all people in the Hudson Valley by evaluating all our projects, strategic initiatives, and outcomes through that lens.