Reporting to: Communications Assistant
Mission of Position: Scenic Hudson’s Communications Department is seeking a Digital Photography Intern to assist in research and development for a variety of projects and platforms. The role will support the Communications editorial and creative resources team (Comms team) with photo/video research, editing and retouching, as well as organizational needs, including uploading and tagging content to a digital asset management system. The ideal candidate will excel at inspiring visual storytelling through sourcing compelling imagery that the Comms team uses for articles, social media posts, videos, presentations and more. Applicants should possess a strong understanding of the digital and social media landscape and tools, as well as a broad interest in social, environmental, and cultural topics.
Principle Responsibilities Include:
- Assist in sourcing and curating visual content for e-magazine articles, monthly e-newsletters, various social platforms, and website updates.
- Keep meticulous notes to help organize our digital archives and when uploading secured images to the digital asset management system with proper metadata (tags, photographer credits, captions, usage rights, etc.).
- Curate lightbox collections (via digital asset management system) to share with the Comms team for review and approval.
- Upload and lay out approved images for e-magazine articles in WordPress.
- Attend weekly editorial and social media meetings with the Comms team to create compelling content targeted at a diverse audience.
- Photograph various Scenic Hudson spaces and projects as needed.
- A love of photography, nature, people and wildlife.
- Personal computer and reliable wi-fi.
- Approx 20 hours per week (preferably Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday) for 2-3 months.
- Knowledge of the principles of impactful imagery and visual storytelling/photo-journalism.
- Good working knowledge of file management.
- Highly motivated and detail-oriented.
- Photography experience.
- Digital photography editing experience in Adobe Photoshop is a plus.
- Remote work.
- Opportunity to work in a creative and collaborative environment and support a local nonprofit organization with a meaningful mission.
- Total stipend of up to $1500 (depending on hours, experience and completion of tasks).
Knowledge of: Project Management systems (such as Asana), Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator, InDesign and/or WordPress is a plus.
Background: Scenic Hudson helps people and communities preserve land and farms and create parks where people experience the outdoors and enjoy the Hudson River. We also bring together people, businesses and government to protect the river and natural resources that are the engines of the valley’s local economies. Started in 1963 by a handful of people who cherished the simple pleasures of the outdoors along the Hudson, Scenic Hudson is credited with launching the modern grass-roots environmental movement. Today, in the face of new challenges and the effects of climate change, we are dedicated to making the Hudson Valley a great place to live, work and play. Our focus is on strengthening and maximizing benefits all can enjoy from the region’s great assets—beautiful open spaces, working farms, and vibrant cities and town centers. www.scenichudson.org
Contact: Please send a brief cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Further information can be found on our website: www.scenichudson.org. No phone calls please.
Scenic Hudson is an Equal Opportunity Employer promoting cultural diversity and excellence. We are committed to the values of diversity, equity and inclusion, and strive to serve all of the people of the Hudson Valley by evaluating our projects, strategic initiatives and outcomes through that lens.