Position Description: Oversee all aspects of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) use, development, and management at Scenic Hudson to support land conservation and other organizational priorities. Responsible for the maintenance and ongoing development of all land-related data, in GIS and in our Salesforce databases.
Reporting to: Assistant Director of Land Conservation
- Expertise in ArcGIS Enterprise, Arc GIS Online and ArcGIS Desktop/Pro, including the ability to create scripts and tools to improve workflow and efficiency. Ability to perform complex vector and raster-based analyses, including terrain and viewshed analyses.
- Experience in development and administration of SQL Server-based data. Ability to create and maintain geodatabases, including an understanding of database design and integration between spatial datasets and tabular software products.
- Experience as a Salesforce Administrator with ability to create reports, workflows and other enhanced functions. Experience supporting Salesforce Lightning and with Nonprofit Success Pack preferred.
- Knowledge of principles and techniques of cartography and publication-quality map production.
- Experience in planning organizational GIS needs for hardware/software acquisition and maintenance.
- Ability to work independently and exercise sound judgment in records and database management and the use of GIS analytical tools in support of the organization’s objectives.
- Ability to work as part of multiple teams, handle multiple priorities and have excellent graphic and written communication skills.
- Ability to make compelling verbal presentations of GIS analyses and products.
- Flexibility, ability to work effectively within deadlines, and a willingness and ability to work with others.
Other Desired Qualifications:
- Familiarity with land trusts and land preservation techniques, and familiarity with landscape-scale conservation, climate change, and biodiversity issues.
- Familiarity with Salesforce LOCATE app and Apsona for Salesforce.
- Familiarity with drone operation and data analysis.
- Proficiency with Adobe Illustrator or similar design/graphics software program.
- Experience with ModelBuilder and/or Python.
- Knowledge of natural resource management issues and the principles and practices of open space and/or park planning, property-specific land planning, and municipal planning and zoning.
- Familiarity with CAD data and the ability to convert between CAD and GIS formats.
- Familiarity with 3D visual simulations.
- GIS Professional Certificate (GISP) and Salesforce Certified Advanced Administrator Certificate preferred but not required.
BS/BA in GIS, geography, landscape architecture, land use and regional planning, environmental science, conservation biology, natural resources management, or similar field with course emphasis in GIS required. Advanced degree preferred. Minimum of five years’ experience with GIS and database administration required. GIS and database experience in land protection, open space planning, land use planning or natural resources management is highly desirable.
Principle Responsibilities may include:
- Maintain all spatial and tabular data related to land conservation. Maintain spatial data for land use, natural and cultural resources, trails and other recreational features.
- Provide information necessary to support organizational objectives in clear and meaningful ways by developing reports and querying the databases.
- Prepare presentation-quality maps and exhibits to help analyze alternative land protection scenarios, and impact of development proposals on scenic and ecological resources.
- Provide regular updates to the organization’s standard map products.
- Manage all ArcGIS, Salesforce and related licenses and keep abreast of new technologies to determine the needs of the institution moving forward.
- Organize training, and provide mentoring and technical assistance to other GIS and Salesforce users within the organization. Develop guidelines and procedures to facilitate staff use and application of GIS and Salesforce.
- Recommend and develop solutions, standards, and procedures for applying GIS technology to organizational objectives.
- Coordinate with IT staff to solve Salesforce and GIS-related software/hardware performance issues and to provide Salesforce, GIS and GPS technical support for the organization.
- Establish and maintain positive and cooperative working relationships with co-workers and representatives from other agencies and organizations.
Compensation: Full Time, salary commensurate with experience, generous benefit package.
Mission and Background:
Scenic Hudson works to protect and restore the Hudson River and its majestic landscape as an irreplaceable national treasure and a vital resource for residents and visitors. A crusader for the valley since 1963, we are credited with saving fabled Storm King Mountain from a destructive industrial project and launching the modern grass-roots environmental movement. Today with more than 25,000 ardent supporters, we are the largest environmental group focused on the Hudson River Valley. Our team of experts combines land acquisition, support for agriculture, citizen-based advocacy and sophisticated planning tools to create environmentally healthy communities, champion smart economic growth, open up riverfronts to the public and preserve the valley’s inspiring beauty and natural resources. www.scenichudson.org
We are guided by these enduring principles:
- Everyone deserves opportunities to experience the Hudson River, to enjoy open space and to have a voice in decisions affecting their community.
- The beauty of the Hudson River Valley is a unique source of spiritual and artistic vitality and must be preserved forever.
- An outstanding quality of life is achievable only when a clean, healthy environment is a key component of economic growth.
Contact: Send cover letter with salary requirements, resume and a few samples of maps or other visual products you have produced to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please. Scenic Hudson is an EOE promoting cultural diversity and excellence.