Position Title: Land Project Manager
Reporting To: Director of Land Conservation
Mission of Position: Initiate and manage the successful completion of land conservation transactions.
Qualifications: Minimum of two years of related professional experience desired. Bachelor’s degree in related field required, with advanced degree desirable. Ideal candidate will be an experienced land conservation professional, with at least the minimum two years of experience, a track record of completing real estate transactions, and a background in land conservation, real estate, finance, land use planning, environmental studies, natural resource conservation, farmland protection techniques, or law. GIS skills desirable, but not required. Strong entrepreneurial, interpersonal, and writing skills are a must. Individual must be detail-oriented, self-directed, outcome-driven, flexible, and be able to work well as part of a team. Willingness to attend occasional evening meetings and travel throughout the Hudson Valley is required. Must be able to carry up to 20 lbs. and walk over rough terrain in occasional inclement weather for up to 2 miles. Must demonstrate a commitment to Scenic Hudson’s mission.
Background: Scenic Hudson helps citizens and communities preserve land and farms and create parks where people experience the outdoors and enjoy the Hudson River. We also bring together people, businesses and government to protect the river and natural resources that are the engines of the valley’s local economies. Started in 1963 by a handful of citizens who cherished the simple pleasures of the outdoors along the Hudson, Scenic Hudson is credited with launching the modern grass-roots environmental movement. Today, in the face of new challenges and the effects of climate change, we are dedicated to making the Hudson Valley a great place to live, work and play. Our focus is on strengthening and maximizing benefits all can enjoy from the region’s great assets—beautiful open spaces, working farms, and vibrant cities and town centers.
Principle responsibilities may include:
- Work as part of Scenic Hudson’s Land Conservation Team, advancing the preservation of Hudson River Valley properties exhibiting significant scenic, ecological, agricultural, historic and/or recreational value.
- Manage land transactions, including outright acquisitions, conservation easement acquisitions, farmland protection, land dispositions and other conservation real estate transactions in the Hudson River Valley that further Scenic Hudson’s strategic plan and conservation priorities.
- Establish and maintain positive, productive relationships with landowners and land conservation partners in order to achieve conservation outcomes.
- Devise acquisition and financing plans for land conservation projects.
- Negotiate the acquisition of land and conservation easements, including easements on working farmland.
- Draft conservation easements and other documentation associated with land conservation transactions.
- Coordinate the mechanics of multiple real estate transactions, track and follow up on various aspects of same in a timely manner.
- Identify and pursue project-specific funding sources and financing strategies; preparing grant proposals.
- Collaborate with public officials, planning departments, and non-profit organizations involved in land conservation, land use planning, and environmental advocacy in order to advance land acquisition projects.
- Manage the disposition and/or re-purposing of properties already in Scenic Hudson’s ownership.
- Oversee and direct the work of consultants.
- Maintain timely, thorough, and accurate paper and electronic records, including data management in a Salesforce database.
- Work as part of the Land Conservation Team, assisting in the identification and refinement of conservation priorities.
- Collaborate between teams on land management, park planning and community engagement, property disposition, and land use planning issues, where appropriate.
- Build public support for specific projects and Scenic Hudson initiatives.
- Make presentations to The Scenic Hudson Land Trust’s board of directors and public presentations on land conservation issues.
- Complete other assignments as deemed necessary.
Compensation: Full Time, salary commensurate with experience.
No phone calls please.
Scenic Hudson is an Equal Opportunity Employer promoting cultural diversity and excellence. We are committed to the values of diversity, equity and inclusion, and strive to serve all of the people of the Hudson Valley by evaluating our projects, strategic initiatives and outcomes through that lens.