Reporting to: Executive Director, Hudson Highlands Fjord Trail
Mission of Position: The Office Manager will support the Executive Director and be responsible for a broad range of administrative and generalist duties in the areas of finance, development, communications, and office management. The position requires initiative, critical thinking, collaboration, and independent decision-making skills. The professional in this position must be a proactive member of the organization, with the ability to appropriately handle confidential information, provide assistance to all members of the staff, and create and maintain organizational procedures and systems that maximize efficiency and collaboration.
The successful candidate will have excellent office and computer skills, take pride in their attention to detail, be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, occasionally under tight deadlines. In short, the Office Manager should be prepared to pitch in as needed to support the Executive Director as an active and engaged member of the larger Hudson Highlands Fjord Trail team.
This position requires excellent written and verbal communication skills to succeed both as a high functioning member of the internal team and in public settings such as board and stakeholder meetings, and special events. Candidate must be both adaptably and detail-oriented, with the ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities and report issues to supervisor in a timely and efficient manner. Minimum of five years previous administrative support to accounting or development function preferred. Strong math skills and high proficiency in Microsoft Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint required. In Design and other graphic program knowledge and familiarity with Salesforce CRM a plus. Must have ability to draft and edit correspondence and share a commitment to Hudson Highlands Fjord Trail mission. Must have ability to lift up to 30 lbs. to help distribute supplies to different areas and move files and other items from location to location, as needed. Demonstrated experience and/or interest in land conservation, outdoor recreation, and advancing environmental justice issues will be greatly valued.
Full Time, Salary range $48k – $52k with competitive salary and benefits
Principle Responsibilities May Include:
The Office Manager will need to provide administrative and office management support to the Executive Director and accomplish additional responsibilities, including:
- Maintain calendar and facilitate scheduling.
- Assist with preparation of board packets.
- Attend meetings of the Board or other groups as needed to take minutes. Meetings will occur either virtually or in person. When held in person, meetings occur primarily in New York City or the Fjord Trail project area.
- Staff special events (a shared responsibility of all staff) that from time to time fall on weekends and evenings. Note that compensatory time will be arranged for time worked on events that do not fall within regular working hours.
- Assist with donor acknowledgements, vendor communication, and other correspondence.
- Cultivate, implement, and track green business practices for the organization as we seek to keep a small carbon footprint.
- Supervise outside maintenance/cleaning staff for offices. This includes coordinating with Scenic Hudson’s operations staff, office building manager, contractors hired by landlord and other building maintenance issues that arise throughout the office suite.
- Serve as primary liaison between staff and third party IT firm.
- Coordinate purchasing for kitchen and office supplies, furniture, and quotes for photocopiers and service for office equipment. This includes organizing and keeping good inventory of the storage of supplies. for events and donor cultivation.
- Maintain user and login information required to update the NYS Grants Gateway and other sites annually to maintain qualification status for multiple entities.
Bookkeeping, Record Keeping and Development Support
- Prepare check requests for submission to finance.
- Maintain contract filing structure and up-to-date budget records for consultant and contractor services.
- Working with the Director of Development and Community Engagement:
- Maintain communications and record keeping between HHFT Development and Scenic Hudson Finance
- Maintain electronic grant files for key donors and government awards including proposal documentation, tracking reports, and award letters.
- Assist with donor tours/meetings when needed, i.e.- travel schedules, meal arrangements, preparation of donor materials, etc.
- Assist with production and packaging of foundation and government grant proposals, and major donor solicitations.
- Assist other members of the Fjord Trail staff when needed. These duties could include: research, filing, data entry, photocopying, mailings.
- Establish and manage document retention systems and procedures for messages, hard copy of materials, e-mail, computer files and verbal information.
Background: The Hudson Highlands Fjord Trail will be a new world-class 7.5 mile riverfront linear park in the Highlands region of the Hudson River Valley. Set to begin construction later this year, this job is an opportunity to join the growing team that will ultimately build, manage, and program the new park. The park, in its design and future programming, will emphasize accessibility to a variety of outdoor experiences for all ages and abilities to enjoy – from rugged hikes to shoreline promenades to immersive forest and marsh meanders. Hudson Highlands Fjord Trail, Inc. is an independently operating non-profit subsidiary of Scenic Hudson, Inc. HHFT offices are currently in Poughkeepsie, NY and the staff maintains a hybrid in-office/remote schedule. This position requires some days in office. Scenic Hudson’s (and its subsidiaries, including HHFT) current policy requires all staff members be fully vaccinated to be in the office. Initial onboarding period requires in-office time.
Contact: Please send cover letter, resume and brief writing sample to: email@example.com. Further information can be found on our website: www.scenichudson.org. No phone calls please.
Scenic Hudson is an Equal Opportunity Employer promoting cultural diversity and excellence. We are committed to the values of diversity, equity and inclusion, and strive to serve all of the people of the Hudson Valley by evaluating our projects, strategic initiatives and outcomes through that lens.