Park Maintenance Associate
Parks and Trails Manager
Mission of Position
To assist in the system-wide management of Scenic Hudson’s parks and preserves for public access and protection of its natural, scenic and cultural resources. The Associate will work with the field staff team on maintenance and stewardship projects on properties ranging from rural to urban. As a Parks and Community Outreach Team member, help to achieve these outcomes: Connect people to the Hudson River and other natural assets and make our parks models of environmental stewardship that meet the needs of communities they serve.
We are committed to the values of diversity, equity and inclusion, and strive to serve all of the people of the Hudson Valley by evaluating our projects, strategic initiatives and outcomes through that lens.
Bachelor’s degree in park and resource management, environmental studies preferred, but one to two years of practical or parallel experience also considered. Experience in general construction and trail building including carpentry, stonework and use of hand and stationary power tools such as picks, shovels, hammers, drills, logging equipment, brush-cutters, mowers and operation of trucks and tractors. Chainsaw experience and certification necessary. Comfortable working outdoors, sometimes under adverse conditions, and able to perform strenuous physical labor, including ability to lift 70+ pounds, hike long distances and travel frequently in the Hudson Valley. Excellent organizational skills, self-directed and energetic. Valid driver’s license, his/her own vehicle and clean driving record. Able to work weekends on occasion. Good written and verbal communication skills and familiarity with Microsoft Office programs. Knowledge of environmentally sustainable materials and site maintenance practices encouraged. Commitment to Scenic Hudson’s mission.
- Help develop and carry out work orders to repair and maintain all general aspects of Scenic Hudson parks and preserves on a regular basis to insure they are sound and well maintained.
- Have aptitude to learn the use of hand-held GPS based data collection devices for field condition reports.
- Regularly inspect and maintain parks, observe and report field condition, repair trails and associated infrastructure to ensure public safety.
- Ensure all built structures (information kiosks, bridges, benches, etc.) are in good repair.
- Engage cordially with park visitors about park rules, Scenic Hudson parks and Scenic Hudson.
- Maintain accurate records of work in database.
- Develop yearly calendar of maintenance inspections of vehicles and machinery; schedule and track equipment tool repair needs; ensure insurance certificated are properly placed, and up to date, and in order.
- Maintain field tools in safe condition and keep workshop organized.
- Assist other members of the Parks and Community Outreach Team as needed.
Scenic Hudson preserves land and farms and creates parks that connect people with the inspirational power of the Hudson River, while fighting threats to the river and natural resources that are the foundation of the valley’s prosperity.
Commensurate with experience with benefits.
Cover letter and resumé should be sent to: email@example.com. No phone calls please.Scenic Hudson is an EOE promoting cultural diversity and excellence.