Reporting to: Senior Parks Manager
Mission of Position: Assist in the system-wide management of Scenic Hudson’s parks for public benefit and the protection and enhancement of their natural, scenic and cultural resources. The Associate will be an integral member of the parks management team on routine maintenance and specialized stewardship projects on lands ranging from rural to urban. As a member of the multi-disciplinary Parks and Community Outreach Team, help to ensure that the parks are inclusive, safe, and accessible; and assist in managing the parks to improve their health, habitats and climate resilience. scenichudson.org/explore-the-valley/our-parks/
Scenic Hudson is committed to the values of diversity, equity and inclusion, and strive to serve all of the people of the Hudson Valley by evaluating our projects, strategic initiatives and outcomes through that lens.
- Love of the outdoors
- Team-oriented mindset
- Strong self-direction and energetic work ethic
- Must have knowledge/aptitude/proficiency in operating basic landscape and woodworking tools and machinery
- Experience in general construction and trail building including use of hand and stationary power tools such as picks, shovels, hammers, drills, mowers. Operation of chainsaw, heavy pickup trucks and tractors preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or minimum of two years of practical or parallel experience also considered
- A clean and valid driver’s license and willingness to travel throughout the Hudson Valley
- Strong written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Off-trail navigation skills and high level of comfort working in remote locations
- Ability in walking long distances over uneven terrain and to carry up to 50 pounds
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office environment, experience with database management desirable
- Commitment to Scenic Hudson’s mission and environmental justice
- Knowledge of environmentally sustainable materials and site maintenance practices encouraged
- Spanish-speaking a plus
Scenic Hudson helps people and communities preserve land and farms and create parks where people experience the outdoors and enjoy the Hudson River. We also bring together people, businesses and government to protect the river and natural resources that are the engines of the valley’s local economies. Started in 1963 by a handful of people who cherished the simple pleasures of the outdoors along the Hudson, Scenic Hudson is credited with launching the modern grass-roots environmental movement. Today, in the face of new challenges and the effects of climate change, we are dedicated to making the Hudson Valley a great place to live, work and play. Our focus is on strengthening and maximizing benefits all can enjoy from the region’s great assets—beautiful open spaces, working farms, and vibrant cities and town centers, scenichudson.org.
Principle responsibilities may include:
- Help develop and carry out work orders to repair and maintain all general aspects of Scenic Hudson parks on a regular basis to insure they are sound and well maintained.
- Have aptitude to learn the use of hand-held GPS based data collection devices for field condition reports.
- Regularly inspect and maintain parks, observe and report field conditions, repair trails and associated infrastructure to ensure public safety.
- Ensure all built structures (information kiosks, bridges, benches, etc.) are in good repair.
- Engage cordially with park visitors about Scenic Hudson, its parks and the park rules.
- Maintain accurate records of work in database.
- Assist in maintaining work equipment in safe and operable conditions.
- Assist other members of the Parks and Community Outreach Team as needed.
Compensation: This is a full-time hourly position with an hourly range of $24.17 – $25.27 (commensurate with experience) and access to a highly competitive benefits package.
Contact: Applications should be sent to: email@example.com. Send cover letter, resume and brief writing or work sample. Further information can be found on our website: www.scenichudson.org. No phone calls please.
Scenic Hudson is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate our differences and understand that diversity, equity, and inclusivity make our team stronger and our work better. We welcome and encourage applications from all qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds and experiences. If you need additional assistance with your application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.