Reporting to: Senior Parks Manager
Mission of Position: The Parks Operations Associate provides support to the Sr. Parks Manager and the land management staff relevant to the operations of Scenic Hudson’s network of parks that offers enjoyable outdoor experiences for everyone and protects the land’s natural and cultural resources. Work includes, but not limited to contract procurement, oversight of select projects, compliance of multiple subcontractor services, and budget tracking.
- Undergraduate degree and three years of professional experience in management of public lands, natural resource management, or related field
- Experience with writing contracts and contract administration
- Excellent speaking and writing skills
- Excellent organizational skills and detail oriented
- Self-directed and have a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of staff, partner organizations, park goers, and other stakeholders
- Strong computer skills and with various technology applications including Microsoft Excel and GIS and other data entry programming
- Comfortable working outdoors in all terrain under adverse weather conditions and able to carry up to 30 pounds
- Familiarity with use of handheld and stationary landscaping and woodworking tools preferred
- Familiarity with best management practices with an emphasis on climate resilience
- Familiarity with reviewing site plans and project tracking
- Familiarity with Scenic Hudson’s mission and its parks preferred
- Experience with construction and budget management preferred
- Spanish a plus
Scenic Hudson preserves land and farms and creates parks that connect people with the inspirational power of the Hudson River, while fighting threats to the river and natural resources that are the foundation of the valley’s prosperity.
Our work is guided by our vision for the region:
The Hudson Valley is a community of informed and engaged citizens working to make the region a model of vibrant riverfront cities and towns linked by inviting parks and trails, beautiful and resilient landscapes, and productive farms.
We focus on three themes—Promoting Regional Identity, Building Community and Strengthening Resiliency. Lands we protected will enhance recreation, keep our air and water clean, and help wildlife adapt to rising sea levels. Partnerships to restore long-neglected natural and cultural assets will help revitalize downtown neighborhoods. And our expertise in siting renewable energy and promoting natural climate solutions positions the region to be a model for confronting climate change.
We are committed to the values of diversity, equity and inclusion, and strive to serve all of the people of the Hudson Valley by evaluating our projects, strategic initiatives and outcomes through that lens.
Principle Responsibilities include:
- Assist with managing Scenic Hudson’s network of parks, preserves and other conserved land. scenichudson.org/explore-the-valley/our-parks/
- Prepare and process work orders; bid specifications; contract and supervise contractors for routine maintenance work such as mowing, snow removal, tree work; and non-routine work such as repairing/replacing/demolishing structures; site restoration; secure necessary permits, comply with grant/funding projects.
- Track contracts for routine and non-routine projects and ensure compliance of contract terms.
- Maintain active database of work orders.
- Identify qualified contractors including Hudson Valley and minority and/or women-owned businesses, maintain listings, and develop positive vendor relationships.
- Identify sourcing and procuring of materials, with an emphasis on local/ sustainable materials where applicable and rented equipment to be delivered to jobsites.
- Assist in conducting damage summaries after weather events to develop recovery plans to be carried out by contractors, staff or volunteers.
- Be available for emergency situations.
- Assist in records management and filing systems for archival storage and in accordance with the Land Trust Alliance standards.
- Work with other Park and Community Engagement Team staff as needed to achieve team outcomes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Compensation: Full Time, with competitive salary and benefits.
Scenic Hudson is an Equal Opportunity Employer promoting cultural diversity and excellence. We are committed to the values of diversity, equity and inclusion, and strive to serve all of the people of the Hudson Valley by evaluating our projects, strategic initiatives and outcomes through that lens.