Reporting to: Senior Parks Manager
Mission of Position: As a member of Scenic Hudson’s Parks and Community Engagement Team, the Parks Stewardship Coordinator will support the stewardship and management of Scenic Hudson parks and other lands we own; will be responsible for annual monitoring of these lands totaling approximately 7,750 acres, which includes documenting, assessing and reporting changes in physical characteristics and encroachments; and forming positive relationships with neighboring landowners.
The Parks Stewardship Coordinator should have a strong interest in land stewardship, public land use, and natural resource management. Successful candidate will have a:
- Love of the outdoors
- Team-oriented mindset
- Strong self-direction and energetic work ethic
- Detail oriented approach
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and/or minimum of three years with management of parks, public lands, or natural resources
- Strong written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office environment
- Proficiency in GIS and GPS capabilities highly desirable
- Experience with database management highly desirable
- Basic construction techniques and experience using hand tools and some power equipment
- Basic skills driving heavy pickup trucks and trailers
- Off-trail navigation skills and high level of comfort working in remote locations
- Commitment to environmental justice
- A clean and valid driver’s license and willingness to travel throughout the Hudson Valley
- Ability in walking long distances over uneven terrain and to carry up to 50 pounds
- Commitment to Scenic Hudson’s mission
- Familiarity with non-profit organizations and land trusts a plus
Scenic Hudson helps people and communities preserve land and farms and create parks where people experience the outdoors and enjoy the Hudson River. We also bring together people, businesses and government to protect the river and natural resources that are the engines of the valley’s local economies. Started in 1963 by a handful of people who cherished the simple pleasures of the outdoors along the Hudson, Scenic Hudson is credited with launching the modern grass-roots environmental movement. Today, in the face of new challenges and the effects of climate change, we are dedicated to making the Hudson Valley a great place to live, work and play. Our focus is on strengthening and maximizing benefits all can enjoy from the region’s great assets—beautiful open spaces, working farms, and vibrant cities and town centers. www.scenichudson.org
Principle responsibilities may include:
- Monitor Scenic Hudson-owned properties annually to ensure compliance with Land Trust Standards & Practices.
- Assist the Senior Parks Manager in preparing and updating individualized park and land management plans and with subsequent implementation of the plans. Serve as the primary point of contact for the general public and property neighbors in encroachments and boundary issues.
- Boundary posting and encroachment documentation and enforcement, including interaction with the encroaching parties.
- GIS mapping of trail expansions and maintenance work orders.
- Assist the Senior Parks Manager in the maintenance of a web-based platform for standardized information collection techniques and associated simplified storage methodologies.
- Perform physical maintenance work in the parks as part of a team.
- Collaborate with land stewardship staff in managing natural resources and hunting programs.
- Assist with various record and filing systems.
- Confer with outside legal counsel, contractors, partners, and consultants as needed.
- Complete other assignments as deemed necessary to achieve park and community engagement goals and support the mission of the organization.
Compensation: This is a full-time position with a salary range of $51K to $53K (commensurate with experience) and access to a highly competitive benefits package.
Contact: Applications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Send cover letter, resume and brief writing or work sample. Further information can be found on our website: www.scenichudson.org. No phone calls please
Scenic Hudson is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate our differences and understand that diversity, equity, and inclusivity make our team stronger and our work better. We welcome and encourage applications from all qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds and experiences. If you need additional assistance with your application, please contact email@example.com.