Reporting to: Director of River Cities Program
Position Description: Scenic Hudson is seeking a highly effective, experienced, organized and creative thinker to serve as a Community Engagement Organizer for the organization’s River Cities program. The Community Engagement Organizer will engage in a wide range of activities—including developing strategy, community outreach and organizing, coalition building, and education—to advance Scenic Hudson’s goal of Hudson Valley cities and towns becoming more equitable, economically vibrant, environmentally healthy and reflective of the needs of all people. The Community Engagement Organizer will be a collaborative and dynamic team member who will develop, coordinate and implement organizing strategies related to environmental justice, food access, neighborhood revitalization to connect people to the Hudson River and other natural resources. This is a three-year term-limited position.
The River Cities Program strongly encourages and seeks applications from Black people, Indigenous people, People of color, immigrants, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQIA community, and other underrepresented and historically marginalized groups.
- Experience working in underserved communities and leading and motivating community members, including a strong commitment to environmental justice, social justice, racial justice and youth empowerment.
- At least two years of experience in mobilizing community members for a cause, frontline organizing, effective partnering and collaboration.
- Experience leading teams; effective facilitating and organizing meeting skills.
- Ability to effectively organize community input and contribute to community-driven planning.
- Excellent interpersonal skills as demonstrated by the ability to establish and cultivate relationships with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent analytical and judgment skills. Strong execution, analytical and organizational skills and demonstrated experience in prioritizing and executing multiple tasks with excellent attention to detail.
- Available to work flexible hours, including occasional evening and weekend events. Ability to travel throughout the mid-Hudson Valley region as needed.
- Experience in a fast-paced, highly dynamic and collaborative organization.
- Must have clean driver’s license and own vehicle.
- Must be able to carry up to 30 lbs. and walk over rough terrain in inclement condition for up to 2 miles.
- Spanish-speaking and writing a plus.
Compensation: This is a three-year term position, with a salary range of $48k – $55k (commensurate with experience) and access to a highly competitive benefits package.
Principle Responsibilities may include:
The River Cities Community Engagement Organizer will work in close coordination with the River Cities Program Director, the River Cities Project Manager and as a member of a larger team of Scenic Hudson staff to undertake the following responsibilities, among others:
- In close consultation with the River Cities Program Director, develop and execute cohesive field and digital organizing strategies to support and promote projects and goals.
- Build connections, identify opportunities and manage strategic relationships with key stakeholders—including environmental organizations, community housing, local and social justice organizations, service providers, educational institutions, faith groups.
- Form and lead collaborations and community-based processes to inform planning and development of River Cities projects and plans.
- Utilize a wide array of techniques, including tabling, outreach, canvassing, participating and representing Scenic Hudson in meetings and in coalitions, hosting community forums, coalition and base building, and organizing to achieve program goals.
- Identify opportunities to further the River Cities Program mission and priorities on a wide range of environmental issues facing Hudson Valley cities.
- Coordinate interdepartmental team members to advance projects with multiple objectives.
- Develop a clear plan and system to track engagement and activity. Organize and maintain up-to-date data and identify opportunities for engagement.
- Provide thorough reporting of organizing activities and outcomes for internal and external meetings, board committees, funders and external communications.
- Contribute to creating the vision and strategy for the River Cities Program.
- Other duties as assigned to achieve Scenic Hudson goals.
Contact: Applications should be sent to: email@example.com Send cover letter, resume and brief writing or work sample. Further information can be found on our website: www.scenichudson.org. No phone calls please.
Background: Scenic Hudson helps people and communities preserve land and farms and create parks where people experience the outdoors and enjoy the Hudson River. We also bring together people, businesses and government to protect the river and natural resources that are the engines of the valley’s local economies. Started in 1963 by a handful of community members who cherished the simple pleasures of the outdoors along the Hudson, Scenic Hudson is credited with launching the modern grass-roots environmental movement. Today, in the face of new challenges and the effects of climate change, we are dedicated to making the Hudson Valley a great place to live, work and play. Our focus is on strengthening and maximizing benefits all can enjoy from the region’s great assets—beautiful open spaces, working farms, and vibrant cities and town centers. www.scenichudson.org
About Scenic Hudson’s River Cities Program:
Scenic Hudson’s River Cities Program starts with the premise that an equitable, sustainable, healthy and livable Hudson Valley must include cities that reflect the voices and visions of their residents. It ensures that our work benefits all populations equitably. It identifies natural features in the region’s river cities that provide opportunities for linking neighborhoods, enhancing residents’ health and well-being, empowering and educating young people, promoting community-based revitalization in business and residential districts, ensuring access to healthy food, clean air and water, and increasing access to vibrant public spaces. It prioritizes listening to the community, galvanizing community engagement and building inclusive partnerships. Through improving quality of life and making communities healthier and more just, we help ensure sustainable and environmentally sound economic and community development for all to enjoy. www.scenichudson.org
Scenic Hudson is embarking on a three-year initiative to catalyze environmental justice and climate resilience. This position is funded for a three-year term.
Scenic Hudson is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate our differences and understand that diversity, equity, and inclusivity make our team stronger and our work better. We welcome and encourage applications from all qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds and experiences. If you need additional assistance with your application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.