Position Title: River Cities Project Manager
Reporting To: Director of River Cities Program
Mission of Position: Scenic Hudson is seeking a highly effective, organized and creative thinker to serve as a Project Manager in the River Cities program, with a focus on project management and community engagement. The Project Manager will advance Scenic Hudson’s goal of Hudson Valley cities and towns becoming more equitable, economically vibrant, environmentally healthy and reflective of the needs of all citizens. The project manager will be a collaborative and dynamic team member who will develop, coordinate and implement projects related to urban planning and design, environmental justice, neighborhood revitalization, food access, climate resilience, and urban trails to connect people to the Hudson River and other natural and community assets.
About Scenic Hudson’s River Cities Program: Scenic Hudson’s River Cities Program starts with the premise that an equitable, sustainable, healthy and livable Hudson Valley must include cities that reflect the voices and visions of their residents. It ensures that our work benefits all populations equitably. It identifies natural features in the region’s river cities that provide opportunities for linking neighborhoods, enhancing residents’ health and well-being, empowering and educating young people, promoting community-based revitalization in business and residential districts, ensuring access to healthy food, clean air and water, and increasing access to vibrant public spaces. It prioritizes listening to the community, galvanizing community engagement and building inclusive partnerships. Through improving quality of life and making communities healthier and more just, we help ensure sustainable and environmentally sound economic and community development for all to enjoy.
- A passion for and commitment to environmentally sustainable and socially equitable practices including advocating for the creation of progressive policies and programs and the elimination of policies and practices that lead to racial and ethnic disparities in the context of our mission and work.
- Ability to effectively manage and contribute to community-driven planning, design and construction of urban greening projects, such as green streets/street tree planting, community and school gardens, and parks.
- Strong execution, analytical and organizational skills and demonstrated experience in prioritizing and executing multiple tasks, programs, and projects seamlessly with excellent attention to detail.
- Project leadership skills with a demonstrated record of effective partnering, collaborating and negotiating with diverse partners and stakeholders.
- Effective communication skills including exceptional writing and visual skills, excellent people skills, and strong relationship-building skills with an ability to negotiate, influence and collaborate with a variety of stakeholders.
- Education or equivalent experience in community organizing, urban planning, landscape design, and/or construction management.
- Experience working in underserved communities.
- Experience with base-building, organizing and executing projects and/or campaigns, and power building strategies.
- Flexible and skilled at responding to changes in projects, prioritizing and managing multiple projects.
- Experience with non-profit program management.
- Available for occasional night and weekend meetings.
- Experience in a fast-paced, highly dynamic and collaborative organization.
- Must have clean driver’s license and own vehicle.
- Must be able to carry up to 30 lbs. and walk over rough terrain in inclement condition for up to 2 miles.
- Spanish-speaking and writing a plus.
Responsibilities: The River Cities Project Manager will work in close coordination with the River Cities Program Director and as a member of a larger team of Scenic Hudson staff to undertake the following responsibilities, among others:
- Develop and manage multi-year, multi-partner projects related to planning, design and execution of community scale projects that advance Scenic Hudson’s strategic objectives.
- Identify and engage stakeholders and project partners including community leaders, not-for-profit organizations, governmental agencies, and private sector entities; form and lead collaborations and community-based processes to guide planning and development of projects and plans.
- In close consultation with the River Cities Program Director, coordinate interdepartmental team members to advance projects with multiple objectives and that may involve public outreach, events, education, advocacy, planning, design, acquisition and physical urban park improvements.
- Represent Scenic Hudson in a variety of capacities including public meetings, formal hearings and social/community gatherings.
- As needed, review private development proposals and provide alternate designs that reflect smart growth and contemporary urban design principles, which may involve writing comments and delivering testimony.
- Provide thorough reporting of program activities and outcomes for internal and external meetings, board committees, funders and external communications.
- Contribute to creating the vision and strategy for the River Cities Program.
- Assist with managing the River Cities Program budget and securing funding for projects by contributing to grant proposals.
- Administer grants, ensuring compliance with funded deliverables.
- Secure local and state approvals and permits for projects.
- Other duties as assigned to achieve Scenic Hudson goals.
Compensation: Full time, with competitive salary and benefits.
No phone calls please.
Scenic Hudson is an Equal Opportunity Employer promoting cultural diversity and excellence. We are committed to the values of diversity, equity and inclusion, and strive to serve all of the people of the Hudson Valley by evaluating our projects, strategic initiatives and outcomes through that lens.