Director of Creative Strategies & Communications
To sustain and enhance the Hudson Valley’s inspirational beauty and health for generations to come.
Mission of Position:
This role is responsible for educating and engaging existing and potential Scenic Hudson audiences through powerful editorial content, institutional copywriting, and outreach to media sources, pitching stories, and coverage of Scenic Hudson initiatives. This will include a broad range of written copy for print and digital media across various channels in order to support the activities of Scenic Hudson’s programs and advance the organization’s mission.
The individual will have a minimum of 5 years of engaging copywriting and media outreach experience. This self-starter will have a proven history of creating and pitching compelling work product such as: writing to spark action on advocacy-related issues, inspiring speech-writing, encouraging event attendance, and galvanizing supporters through email/newsletters. We are seeking a sophisticated communicator, adept at using different tones and techniques to access various communications channels including email, SMS, and social media. The candidate will be comfortable producing and pitching engaging copy for various projects including magazine articles, park signage and kiosks, newsletters, annual reports, presentations, press releases/relations, letters and memos, social media posts, and website pages.
The individual will be comfortable adapting to various in-house and industry style guides while balancing multiple/converging project deadlines. A collaborative mindset and style will ensure the successful candidate is comfortable with revising written work with feedback from multiple stakeholders. Demonstrated familiarity with the environmental field and success in accessing related media markets are important.
Principle responsibilities may include:
- Draft press releases and media advisories
- Develop media pitches and maintain media relations/correspondences
- Draft op-eds, letters to the editor, talking points, and quotes for President and other members of Executive Team
- Conceive, research, outline, and write stories and articles for Scenic Hudson’s online collaborative community magazine, HV Viewfinder
- Write copy for website project updates
- Write and revise Scenic Hudson’s annual report
- Draft materials for events, information sessions, and other public gatherings (e.g., copy for e-blasts, flyers, signage)
- Research and write copy for park informational kiosks and signage
- Assist with copy for various advocacy campaign toolkits for external supporters on key issues
- Edit reports, white papers, and sign-on letters for advocacy campaigns as needed
- Write copy for various marketing campaigns such as end-of-year fundraising campaigns, SMS engagement campaigns, and brand awareness campaigns
- Write and update text for fundraising portfolios and presentation modules for President and other program staff as needed
- Write various memos about communications work as needed
- Edit podcast blurbs for such projects as “Climate Minute” series collaboration with Radio Woodstock
- Write annual gala concept document and gala program
- Write and edit various letters and documents for staff as needed
- Proofread institutional materials across various departments/programs
- Tailor requested Scenic Hudson social posts to use on the President’s LinkedIn or Facebook platforms
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director and Senior Vice President
Compensation: Full-time position, $84,000 – $88,000 with benefits.
Contact: Applications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Send cover letter, resume and writing sample. Further information can be found on our website: www.scenichudson.org. No phone calls please.
Scenic Hudson defines Environmental Justice as the fair treatment and meaningful involvement of people regardless of their ability, culture, education, gender, heritage, income, or race in efforts, decisions, and actions that impact their environment, health and livelihoods.
Scenic Hudson is an Equal Opportunity Employer promoting and celebrating excellence and cultural diversity. We are committed to advancing diversity, equity, representation, and inclusion, and strive to serve all people in the Hudson Valley by evaluating all our projects, strategic initiatives, and outcomes through that lens.