On November 8th, clean water, clean air, and green jobs are on the ballot. The waters, wildlife, communities, and families of the Hudson Valley — and across the state — NEED YOUR VOTE!
WHAT’S THE IMPACT?
On November 8, New York voters will have a once-in-a-generation opportunity to create a more prosperous future and improve quality of life in every county of the state.
The Clean Water, Clean Air, and Green Jobs Environmental Bond Act of 2022 (Proposition 1) will provide $4.2 billion to projects across New York State that contribute to improving public health, increasing access to nature, and protecting people from deadly heat and flooding.
WHAT’S AT STAKE?
If approved by voters, the Clean Water, Clean Air, and Green Jobs Bond Act will:
- SAFEGUARD DRINKING WATER: New York’s rivers and lakes supply drinking water to millions of New Yorkers every day. The Bond Act will invest at least $650 million to protect clean drinking water by replacing lead pipes, expanding sewers, updating water treatment plants, and preventing pollution and runoff.
- PRESERVE FARMS AND FORESTS: From Ellis Island to the Adirondack Mountains, New York is defined by its unique, natural scenery. Parks, forests, and farms provide mental and physical health benefits. The Bond Act will invest at least $650 million to conserve open space, protect family farms, and expand access to parks, campgrounds, and nature centers.
- STRENGTHEN NEW YORK’S ECONOMY: Replacing lead pipes, updating sewers, fixing roads, and retrofitting buildings all create jobs. The Bond Act will help revitalize local cities, towns, and villages by supporting nearly 100,000 good, local, family-sustaining jobs.
- ADVANCE ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE: Every New Yorker deserves clean air to breathe, clean water to drink, and access to nature. But not everyone has these things. The Bond Act will help advance environmental justice by directing at least 35-40 percent of total funding to disadvantaged communities, those most harmed by pollution.
- UPDATE COMMUNITY INFRASTRUCTURE: The Bond Act will invest at least $1.1 billion to update aging or failing infrastructure and conserve wildlife habitats. Funds will help update roads, bridges, and stormwater systems, and repair wetlands, forests, and shorelines, improving quality of life and saving taxpayers’ money.
- IMPROVE PUBLIC HEALTH AND SAFETY: Bond Act programs will work towards cleaner air to breathe by investing $1.5 billion in projects that cut pollution. Funds will help expand clean energy infrastructure, retrofit public buildings, plant street trees, build green roofs, create community gardens, purchase clean school buses, and build cooling centers that save lives during heatwaves. These projects will increase energy reliability and improve the health and safety of every New Yorker.
WHAT CAN I DO?
- VOTE: Flip your ballot over on November 8, and VOTE YES for Proposition 1, the Environmental Bond Act.
- SPREAD THE WORD: Encourage others to get informed, get involved, and VOTE YES. LET’S PROTECT THE REGION TOGETHER!
- JOIN THE COALITION: Are you a member of an organization that supports the Bond Act? Encourage your director/president/chair/CEO to show your organization’s support by filling out this form on the Vote Yes for Clean Water and Jobs coalition website.
- SIGN UP: Use the form below to subscribe to Scenic Hudson’s email list and receive updates on the Bond Act and other important issues facing the Hudson Valley.